Configure the AWS CLI

From @jayair on Mon Apr 10 2017 00:57:09 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Link to chapter - http://serverless-stack.com/chapters/configure-the-aws-cli.html

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/AnomalyInnovations/serverless-stack-com/issues/14

From @geirman on Fri Apr 14 2017 20:20:45 GMT+0000 (UTC)

frustratingly stuck at step-1

zsh: command not found: aws

I’ve followed the instructions here. They advise to add export PATH=~/.local/bin:$PATH to my .zshrc profile, but that path doesn’t seem to exist and I cannot figure out how to identify the correct path. :-/

If you are looking to setup the CLI correctly on Windows I’d recommend utilizing Chocolatey and running choco install awscli.

Then just run aws configuration to get going.

1 Like

Oh that’s cool. Glad there is an easier way for Windows!

Setting up a new machine, I came back to this tutorial just to refresh my memory on some of the details. My OS is POP!_OS 19.10, which is essentially flavor of the Ubuntu project and I was able to just use ‘sudo apt install awscli’… When I actually tried to use PIP3, it looks as is APT was actually diverting me back and instructing me to install it thru the OS package manager (which I did after a bit of interwebs research).

All seems kosher, I’ve got the current awscli installed configured and testing fine… just FYI.

And, for what it’s worth, the AWS docs also give the instructions to install Python, etc, so I’m not sure if this is something specific to either this particular OS or Ubuntu/Debian-based OS more generally…

Thanks for reporting back! I’m not too familiar with these. So this added context would be useful for people that might run into issues.

Running MacOS 11.3.1 - Big Sur - Mac from 2018.
Python 2 is already installed and I can install python as python3, but cant the install pip.
I tried the

brew install awscli

Error: 
  homebrew-core is a shallow clone.
To `brew update`, first run:
  git -C /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core fetch --unshallow
This command may take a few minutes to run due to the large size of the repository.
This restriction has been made on GitHub's request because updating shallow
clones is an extremely expensive operation due to the tree layout and traffic of
Homebrew/homebrew-core and Homebrew/homebrew-cask. We don't do this for you
automatically to avoid repeatedly performing an expensive unshallow operation in
CI systems (which should instead be fixed to not use shallow clones). Sorry for
the inconvenience!
Warning: Calling `sha256 "digest" => :tag` in a bottle block is deprecated! Use `brew style --fix` on the formula to update the style or use `sha256 tag: "digest"` instead.
Please report this issue to the homebrew/core tap (not Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/core), or even better, submit a PR to fix it:
  /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/awscli.rb:11

Warning: Calling `sha256 "digest" => :tag` in a bottle block is deprecated! Use `brew style --fix` on the formula to update the style or use `sha256 tag: "digest"` instead.
Please report this issue to the homebrew/core tap (not Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/core), or even better, submit a PR to fix it:
  /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/awscli.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/awscli.rb:13

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/python@3.8.rb:8

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/python@3.8.rb:9

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/python@3.8.rb:10

Warning: Calling `cellar` in a bottle block is deprecated! Use `brew style --fix` on the formula to update the style or use `sha256` with a `cellar:` argument instead.
  /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/pkg-config.rb:10

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/pkg-config.rb:11

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/pkg-config.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/pkg-config.rb:13

Warning: Calling `cellar` in a bottle block is deprecated! Use `brew style --fix` on the formula to update the style or use `sha256` with a `cellar:` argument instead.
  /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/gdbm.rb:9

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/gdbm.rb:11

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/gdbm.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/gdbm.rb:13

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/gdbm.rb:14

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/openssl@1.1.rb:11

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/openssl@1.1.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/openssl@1.1.rb:13

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/readline.rb:23

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/readline.rb:24

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/readline.rb:25

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/readline.rb:26

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/sqlite.rb:9

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/sqlite.rb:10

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/sqlite.rb:11

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/sqlite.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/xz.rb:11

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/xz.rb:12

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/xz.rb:13

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/xz.rb:14

==> Downloading https://ghcr.io/v2/homebrew/core/awscli/manifests/2.0.7
##O#- #                                                                       
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 
Error: Failed to download resource "awscli_bottle_manifest"
Download failed: https://ghcr.io/v2/homebrew/core/awscli/manifests/2.0.7

This might be more for the AWS CLI folks.

I think the most concise solution for setting up credentials is just setting the environment variables. I spent a while on windows setting up the AWS CLI when all I needed were just setting these up: