Custom Domains in Netlify

Link to chapter - https://serverless-stack.com/chapters/custom-domain-in-netlify.html

Hi,

How did we arrive at the IP of 104.198.14.52 in the route 53? I think the images were shown after the IPV4 type A record was added.

Thanks in advance,

Ashish

That IP is from the Netlify docs on configuring custom domains. Maybe we should add a note to the chapter referencing it.

This guide breaks down here because the Record Sets that are being created during this step conflict with those created in Part I of this tutorial.

Also, the “Configure SSL” section is no longer possible to complete on Netlify it would seem.

I’m not sure what you mean by the conflict. But it is entirely up to you if you want both part 1 and part 2 to be separately hosted.

Btw, I just updated the screenshots for the SSL portion. Netlify is doing most of it automatically now!

For those who did part 1 and followed it directly into part 2 using the same domain name would have issues with this step. I hope that it’s obvious where the issue would be. If not I can explain further.

Yeah I see what you are saying. The domains are up to the user to setup. It depends if you want to host both or override one with the other.

Yes, I was trying to use my original domain that I created in part one of the lessons and when I try to add the Records sets I am getting errors that they are already there. Do I need to create and buy a new domain name? Or edit the Record sets on the other domain I alreadyhave setup? Just wanted to be clear on this if possibe.

Thanks in advance.

I just figured it out, my url path to the api gateway was incorrect and had a trailing / at the end. I have successful transactions now! Thanks.

1 Like

What resolution was reached about the domain conflict issue? I have existing record sets that I created in Part 1 of the tutorial for my domain. When I try to create new record sets (A and CNAME), I receive errors saying I cannot do so because record sets with the same DNS name already exist. I was able to partially get around this issue by editing the existing A record set (rather than creating a new one). But the same thing did not work for the CNAME record sets.

I realize now this was kind of a silly question. All you have to do is delete all the record sets and create the two new ones. It might be worth clarifying that in the tutorial though to avoid confusion - i.e. that you have to delete all existing record sets first before creating the new ones.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good point. I’ll add a note to the chapter.

Any chance we can get these notes added to the chapter. I’m not sure if I need to delete every record set existing here, or just certain ones to set this is up through netlify. I cleared out every listing, including the ones set up through Seed for the api. I get the feeling that may have been a mistake, but I am not sure. This tutorial is one of the best things I have found, but I do agree, there is a little bit of a breakdown in this last part on certain things. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I’ll add it in soon.

The tutorial assumes that you are setting up Part 2 separately from Part 1. So if you are using the same domain for your React app as you did in Part 1, then you’ll need to make sure it isn’t pointing to the old CloudFront distribution from Part 1.

Just added a note to the chapter. Let me know if it makes sense.

Hi everyone,
Netlify recommends to create a DNS configuration with pointing apex domain using A record to IP address of default subdomain “example.netlify.com”. In the instruction the address 104.198.14.52 is used as an example of the subdomain. But how to get the actual IP number to create this record? I used different tools, such as nslookup, dig, etc., but every time I got different numbers.
Thank you in advance.

Hmm do the steps in this chapter not work for you?

It is working fine now.
I pointed my bare (apex) domain on IP address 104.198.14.52 using record A – not Alias, and now it is working well! I don’t realise why it was not working earlier… It may be because I used record A Alias and pointed on that IP or when I used not Alias I did not wait enough for the record propagation.
It was confusing for me as I assumed that each bare domain must have its own IP provided by Netlify, but eventually it realised that for Netlify provided just one 104.198.14.52 for everybody.
Thank you for your feedback and intention to help me.

1 Like