.environment variables and .yaml "Add a Create Note API"

I am on the " Add a Create Note API" section and am having trouble with testing the API
the command:

serverless invoke local --function create --path mocks/create-event.json

produces this error

Serverless: DOTENV: Loading environment variables from .env:
Serverless:      - tableName
Serverless: Bundling with Webpack...
error is : ResourceNotFoundException: Requested resource not found
    at Request.extractError (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/protocol/json.js:51:27)
    at Request.callListeners (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:106:20)
    at Request.emit (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:78:10)
    at Request.emit (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:683:14)
    at Request.transition (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:22:10)
    at AcceptorStateMachine.runTo (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:14:12)
    at /Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:26:10
    at Request.<anonymous> (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:38:9)
    at Request.<anonymous> (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:685:12)
    at Request.callListeners (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:116:18)
    at Request.emit (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:78:10)
    at Request.emit (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:683:14)
    at Request.transition (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:22:10)
    at AcceptorStateMachine.runTo (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:14:12)
    at /Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:26:10
    at Request.<anonymous> (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:38:9)
    at Request.<anonymous> (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:685:12)
    at Request.callListeners (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:116:18)
    at callNextListener (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:96:12)
    at IncomingMessage.onEnd (/Users/dannybyrne/notes-app-api/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/event_listeners.js:307:13)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:215:7)
    at IncomingMessage.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:476:20)
    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1183:12)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:80:21) {
  code: 'ResourceNotFoundException',
  time: 2019-12-10T18:33:00.494Z,
  requestId: '4D2O3VOI437AE9MTH1M4UPGDUVVV4KQNSO5AEMVJF66Q9ASUAAJG',
  statusCode: 400,
  retryable: false,
  retryDelay: 28.999931507407407
}
{
    "statusCode": 500,
    "headers": {
        "Access-Control-Allow-Origin": "*",
        "Access-Control-Allow-Credentials": true
    },
    "body": "{\"status\":false}"
}

I have edited the .env file to have

tableName='notes'

though in the .yml file is says

# These environment variables are made available to our functions
  # under process.env.

I’m assuming this means that in the create.js file, under the params object

TableName: process.env.tableName,

In the instructions it says
" We read the name of our DynamoDB table from the environment variable using process.env.tableName . We’ll be setting this in our serverless.yml below. We do this so we won’t have to hardcode it in every function."

Does this mean that I don’t have to set it in the .env file that is included? when I rename this file to not be included in the build it also throws an error. when I define tableName in .env and set it to ‘notes’, as is defined in the .yml file and is the name of the dynamoDB table, it throws the above error.

So setting in the .env file means that you can read it in your serverless.yml. You’ll still need to set it to the Lambda environment variable. We do this for the Stripe key: